The recipe to make your own balsamic syrup | Eef Cooks So (2024)

Skip to content

The recipe to make your own balsamic syrup | Eef Cooks So (3)

20minutes minutes

Go to recipe

Supermarket annoyances. Have you ever had that? Empty shelves, long lines at the checkout when you're in a hurry or spending 'hours' looking for that one thing you need and not finding anyone to ask. Recognizable? Recently I needed balsamic syrup as a garnish for a deliciousItalian Salad called Tagliata. After searching for a while I gave up, I couldn't find it. No worries because I did find Balsamic vinegar and you can use it very easilyMake your own Balsamic Syrup.Actually, I think it's homemade best; slightly less acidic, slightly sweeter and fuller in taste. How do you make your own Balsamic Syrup? I'll explain that to you!

It is actually a very easy recipe but certainly not indispensable and that is why I am sharing it with you today. Balsamic Syrup is a wonderful seasoning to put very thinly over your salad or how about a few drops over a bruschetta with tomato or with a cheese board or... or... the possibilities are endless.

If you are going to make your own balsamic syrup, you must make sure that you do not boil the syrup too much. Then the syrup becomes very thick. Once this has happened, you can still use the syrup by quickly heating it in a pan or in the microwave; then the syrup becomes nice and liquid again or add some extra balsamic vinegar and it becomes a little more liquid again. Try to get the consistency of a regular lemonade syrup when you boil the balsamic syrup. After cooling, the syrup 'thickens' further.

You can store the homemade Balsamic Syrup (closed) in the refrigerator or a kitchen cupboard. It contains nothing other than vinegar and sugar (both preservatives) so you can keep it for quite a long time.

The recipe to make your own balsamic syrup | Eef Cooks So (4)

The recipe to make your own balsamic syrup | Eef Cooks So (5)

Balsamic syrup

The recipe to make the tastiest balsamic syrup yourself

4.08van71to vote

To printPinterestSave

Preparation:5minutes minutes

Preparation time:15minutes minutes

Total time:20minutes minutes

Quantity:1 jug of balsamic syrup

What you need (ingredients):

• 100 ml balsamic vinegar
  • 50 gram sugar

HOW TO MAKE IT (preparation method):

• Place the vinegar and sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil over high heat.

• When the mixture boils, reduce the heat and gently boil the vinegar and sugar for about 15-20 minutes. Do this until the syrup has the consistency of lemonade syrup. (As it cools it will thicken slightly and you don't want it to be too thick a syrup).

• Allow to cool slightly and use the syrup for a salad or as a seasoning on a well-filled sandwich. Enjoy your meal!

nutritional value indication (per person/portion):

Calories:282kcal|Carbohydrates:67g|Protein:1g

*Brand names in this article may be the result of a paid partnership. Some links on this page may be affiliate links. Read more:disclaimer.

SAVE RECIPE?Click 'save recipe' and save it in your own collection.

The recipe to make your own balsamic syrup | Eef Cooks So (6)

• Eefkooktzo says:

19 april 2015 at 22:15

Oh thank you! I completely forgot to add that 😉 I immediately adjusted it: about 15-20 minutes until the consistency is comparable to lemonade syrup. So you were already in the right direction 😀

• Tagliata (steak salad) | Eef Cooks So! says:

21 april 2015 at 06:55

[…] and yet also sweet balsamic syrup. You can easily make this syrup yourself and you can read the recipe HERE. Two dressings that come together wonderfully in this salad. They complement each other and provide that [...]

• Ermy van den Berg says:

15 June 2023 at 18:18

Also made the cream. Boil and let cool. After that it became rock hard

What went wrong?

Misc. Ermy CEO Berg

• Eef says:

16 June 2023 at 07:38

Reduced far too much, it has happened to me sometimes that I was not paying attention. After cooling it will become even thicker as described in the recipe. Boil it down to a nice syrup, but certainly not further.

• Eef Cooks Zo - Bruschetta with tomato & basil | Eef Cooks So says:

January 27, 2016 at 06:33

[…] make combinations such as a bruschetta with some thin slices of Parmesan cheese and some homemade balsamic syrup or how about just a nice dried Italian ham on top. The options are […]

• Sandra says:

June 30, 2016 at 7:12 p.m

Funny recipe! I often reach for Bertolli's balsamic crema, but it's actually much more fun to make it yourself!

• Jennifer says:

9 september 2016 at 18:45

I make it with honey instead of sugar! I personally think it tastes even better 🙂

• Ineke says:

20 november 2016 at 17:52

Hello Jennifer.
      Just a quick question. How much honey do you use on 100 ml of balsamic vinegar?
      Greetings Ineke

• LJ says:

23 november 2019 at 16:34

Since honey and sugar are both approximately 100% sugar, an equal weight seems reasonable to me.

• Nanda says:

May 25, 2017 at 20:48

How simple is this, wonderful! Tonight we had salad at the BBQ!

• Eef says:

May 27, 2017 at 14:03

Tasty! What kind of salad did you make?

• Anny van Roij says:

13 december 2019 at 18:22

The bottles in the supermarket say that they contain grape harvest. So I'm boiling the juice from our last grapes, later I'll boil it together with balsamic vinegar and thyme.

• Anny van Roij says:

13 december 2019 at 18:23

Grape must I mean!

• Hands says:

28 February 2020 at 12:48

The recipe to make your own balsamic syrup | Eef Cooks So (7)
      If I had known it was that simple... I haven't bought it for years because I want to eat/drink as little as possible from plastic. Especially when it comes to acidic products. Now I make it myself and pour it into a glass bottle. I'm happy with this.

• Eef says:

March 8, 2020 at 4:49 PM

What fun to read! Thank you for your message 🙂

• Jolly says:

9 augustus 2020 at 17:33

I use a balsamic syrup for an appetizer with fresh figs. Cut figs into quarters (not to the bottom). They will then open up slightly. Drop a teaspoon of syrup into the heart and place in a preheated oven. Serve on a bed of arugula with raw sliced ​​ham. You can also wrap the figs in the ham before they go into the oven, but I don't like that as much.

• Eef says:

9 augustus 2020 at 20:51

Sounds delicious! Thank you for your tip 🙂

• True says:

21 augustus 2020 at 11:56

Hey Eef,

My compliments, what a short and powerfully written article. I'm going to try to make the syrup soon. I do have another question, how long can you keep the syrup (and should it be kept in the refrigerator or not)?

Thank you very much for your response and of course for sharing your recipe.

Greetings, Sanne

• Eef says:

21 augustus 2020 at 18:49

Thank you, how nice to read 🙂 I always keep it at room temperature in a kitchen cupboard (dark). The syrup becomes harder/thicker in the refrigerator, so that is not very useful.

• Hendrikje says:

8 april 2021 at 13:12

The recipe to make your own balsamic syrup | Eef Cooks So (8)
    Thank you Eef for this simple recipe, you just have to know it. We, my husband and I, over 70 years old, often try out recipes and we needed this cream for an upside-down leek cake.
    Greetings Hendrikje

• Eef says:

9 april 2021 at 20:40

How nice to read, thank you for your message.

• Agnes says:

May 5, 2021 at 18:19

The recipe to make your own balsamic syrup | Eef Cooks So (9)
    Also just made the upside down leek pie! Nice, I didn't know it yet. Something different again! Thanks for the recipe. This is the first time I'm offering something like this to my family, so hopefully they will like it too.

• Eef says:

May 9, 2021 at 22:02

How nice to read, thank you for your response 🙂

• H. Vugteveen says:

25 december 2022 at 13:05

For me it was a total failure. while I really used the correct quantities (100 ml balsamic vinegar and 50 grams of sugar).
    Bring to the boil and then simmer for +/- 15 minutes on low heat.
    The result was a rock hard dark lump.
    With boiling water I was able to liquefy the remains in the pan and the bowl in which I had put the substance.
    I don't know what went wrong, but I won't start again.

• Eef says:

26 december 2022 at 10:04

You've let it cook for way too long if it's a hard knock. As described in the recipe, boil it until you have a light syrup, after cooling it will thicken slightly. It really doesn't take long